Inner Critics are some of the most common entrenched and daunting parts clients and therapists meet in psychotherapy. Inner Critics trigger feelings of shame, guilt, loss of confidence, self-doubt, helplessness, and hopelessness. They criticise, negatively evaluate, choices, feelings and behaviours, minimise successes and tell clients what they should and shouldn’t do.
Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapy, one of the fastest-growing approaches to psychotherapy, has a specific protocol for working with Inner Critics that is empowering, effective, and non-pathologizing. IFS holds that Inner Critics are parts trying to protect our client from emotional and psychological pain using maladaptive and outdated strategies from their past. Also that the critics believe that they are protecting the client from an even worse pain. Holding this in mind therapists and clients can approach the critic with an open and curious mind creating space for new strategies, inner forgiveness and hope for change.
IFS is a powerful model of therapy that enhances mindful awareness and self-compassion through getting to know our Parts in a methodical yet intimate way. IFS also provides a framework for restoring a sense of worthiness and self-trust. Clients learn to listen inside themselves with self-compassion and curiosity (Self), and, in the process release beliefs, emotions, sensations, patterns and urges that have constrained their lives.
The Benefits of IFS for therapists:
- IFS offers a consistent way to respectfully enter and respond to a clients’ inner ecology without a need to interpret, pathologize or diagnose.
- IFS supports symptom reduction leading to improved functioning for clients through releasing, rather than overriding, maladaptive beliefs and behaviours.
- IFS supports client self-healing, re-establishing the Self to Part relationship developing the skills of self-awareness and self-compassion.
IFS advances treatment by:
- Working with parts rather than trying override them.
- Supporting the development of mindful self-awareness and self-compassion.
- Encouraging clients to attend to their Parts between sessions improving affect regulation and self-efficacy.
Transformative Consulting Services
Leona Dawson is a counsellor, psychotherapist, hypnotherapist and supervisor who works in private practice. She has 3 decades working in adult education and group facilitation in a range of contexts as well as becoming a Focusing Trainer before discovering Internal Family Systems eight years ago. IFS has enabled Leona to work with curiosity and compassion, moment by moment, with her clients as they come back into relationship with themselves. She has found that the IFS way of working is energising for therapists. Leona has completed the three levels of training offered by the Centre for Self-Leadership in the United States and has supported multiple international trainings. She offers IFS-oriented supervision and runs a MHPN peer group for IFS professionals. Leona has a Masters of Arts and a Master of Counselling & Applied Psychotherapy as well as Diplomas in Clinical Hypnotherapy and Transpersonal Art Therapy. She has also studied at the Milton H. Erickson Foundation and The Focusing Institute (New York).
$19 to purchase and keep the recording of this event.
- Tea and coffee are included. Food may be purchased on the ground floor or from the many surrounding cafes.
- You will need to sign in on arrival to be eligible for an Attendance Certificate.
- Your attendance certificate for 7 hours of face-to-face, active training can be retrieved on completion of your evaluation via your login account.
- A hard copy of notes and resources will be available to you on arrival at this event.
- If for whatever reason, you are unable to attend this live event on the day, your registration will be transferred into the live interactive webcast of this event with three month's access to the recording.
- N.B. Face to face participants are required to comply with COVID safety measures as outlined by the venue and PDP.
Details of the measures current at the time and in line with public health orders will be advised in your pre-event reminder/information emails.
The venue and PDP reserve the right to deny entry to any participant who chooses not to follow COVID safety plans.
Live Interactive Webcast registration
Fees: $139 Primary viewer (includes three month's access recording of the event.
$69.95 Additional viewer (must watch on same device as primary viewer)
$19 Purchase lifetime access to the recording (available to primary viewer only)
- Your attendance certificate for 3.5 hours of live, interactive training can be retrieved on completion of the evaluation and quiz via your account.
- A soft copy of all resources will remain in your account indefinitely.
- A recording of this event will be available in your account approximately three weeks after the live event and will remain available for a full three months. You will receive an email notification when the recording becomes available for viewing.
- If for whatever reason, you are unable to join the live webcast on the day, you will be able to watch the recording, complete your evaluation and quiz and retrieve your certificate at a later date before the end of the three month viewing period.
Reminders for all events are sent two weeks, one week, one day and one hour prior.
Learning objectives of this training:
- Review key principles and concepts underpinning IFS as a therapeutic modality.
- Find protector Parts via a client’s story, presenting issue &/or body awareness.
- Identify different types of Inner Critics.
- Discover that how the Inner Critic is attempting to protect the client from ‘even worse’ emotional and psychological pain.
- Learn how to keep the criticised/shamed Parts safe while working with Inner Critics.
- Learn how to negotiate with Inner Critics for transformation.
“All parts are welcome.” - when we look within ourselves, putting those words into practice, we open the way to deep inner transformation as ‘Parts’ come to realise they are not stuck in their roles and can choose to support us in a different ways. IFS unlocks that ability.” Leona Dawson
How will you benefit from attending this training?
- Review of key IFS principles and protocol
- Recognise and work with a variety of Inner Critics
- Support Inner Critics to transform their role.
9:00am - 12:45 (includes a short break)
- Review IFS principles and the 6 key steps in the IFS protocol
- Review roles of protector parts including the Inner Critic
- Explore key therapeutic steps when working with an Inner Critic
- Guided Experiential Activity: Meeting your own Inner Critic finding its positive intent
Evaluation and quiz - your payment includes a quiz which when completed with a minimum of 80% correct answers, will enable you to download your Attendance Certificate.
To complete the quiz, please log into your account at pdp-catalogue.com.au and click the orange "Certificate" button under the program's title.
For live webcasts, post-tests must be completed within one month of viewing the program.
This seminar has been designed to extend the clinical knowledge and applied skill of Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Coaches, Psychologists, Hypnotherapists, Social Workers, Community Workers, Mental Health Nurses and Psychiatrists.
9:00am - 12:45pm
Includes a 15 minutes break at 10:45am